Thursday 27 November 2008

Stale Ale

I've been busy today. I still have holidays to use up, so I took a day off today and, while I was intending to clean my flat, I seem to have made enough fresh mess to compensate. But never mind.

The X Ale that's been bottled for several weeks now? I opened a bottle today and, while it poured with an attractive head, it's still flat and is not going to develop any carbonation. It's also got quite sour in a winey sort of way. I could throw it away, but I'm too much of a tightwad for that. Instead I boiled up some malt extract to give any remaining yeast something to munch on, opened all the bottles, poured the contents into a bottling bucket and re-bottled the beer. A tedious job, but the contents may yet develop into something interesting.

I'm also going to re-classify it and label it Stale. Then at some point in the future I can have an eighteenth-century-style glass of mixed Mild and Stale.

No comments:

Post a Comment